3.07.2013

Book Review \\ Days Like These by Kristian & Rachel Anderson


"Days like these I can't help but reach out to heaven and beg for mercy.
God, help."

No one asks for cancer. No one blows out their birthday candles with the wish, "I hope I get diagnosed with cancer this year." Kristian Anderson certainly didn't. He fought against bowel and liver cancer for over two years, and he fought hard. Days Like These is a collection of posts from the blog he used to update family and friends, and eventually so many more, during his fight; it includes notes from his wife Rachel that give readers a closer look at Kristian's life and journey.

I wouldn't say Kristian was a superhero or super human. In fact, he was incredibly human, so human that his body was wracked by a serious illness. The incredible part of Kristian's story is that, in the face of cancer and pain and death, he trusted God. I struggle with trusting God, and my problems are comparatively minute.  It isn't that Kristian laughed about cancer and had an "I don't care" attitude, but that he realized his mental, emotional, and physical weaknesses and gave them up to God. His posts are often heartbreaking and raw as he talks truthfully about how he feels physically and emotionally, but they always include God's promises. 

So why do you want to read a book that leaves you at times crying and at times incredibly angry? For one thing, Days Like These tells the true story of a man, a man who lived and died, just as we all do and will. For another thing, it oozes with the promises of God, that He will never leave you, that He will comfort you and take care of you in every situation. Life is tough whether you have cancer or not, and we could all use a little bit of encouragement and a whole lot of perspective. Don't read Days Like These looking for literary genius or fluffy prose. This is real life. It's not for the weak or fainthearted, but it is for the hopeful and trusting.

Lately I've been more interested in reading memoir style books, I think simply because I am curious about how others live and think. Though I so often try to pretend that I'm the center of the world, I am most definitely not, and I love the perspective that memoirs bring. Days Like These definitely fits the bill.

5 stars.
It was amazing

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment